During our Thanksgiving dinner, Freddie ate nothing but the apple pie. I don’t know if it was too many different tastes and textures, but the little man would have nothing to do with any of the other dishes on the menu. I found this extremely ironic since he doesn’t really like plain apples. The pugs really enjoyed the bits of dinner that he threw to them though.
For my apple pie, I used golden delicious apples, but everyone has their own theories about which apples bake the best. The Grumblers aren’t really fans of Granny Smiths or Red Delicious’s.
I also used a pre-made pie crust because I ain’t got time for that shit, but if homemade pie crust strikes your fancy, have at it. Make sure the check the ingredients. A lot of pre-made pie crusts just happen to be vegan. Go figure.
It tends to get a little bit messy, so I would recommend baking the pie with a cookie sheet underneath.
Vegan Apple Pie
Ingredients for Pie:
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 8 cups thinly sliced apples (6-8 apples)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- dash of salt
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the apples. Once mixed, pour into the pre-made pie crust.
3. Mix the Topping Ingredients together in a bowl until crumbly.
4. Sprinkle the topping onto the pie. It will look really full, but don’t worry, it will cook down.
5. Bake in oven for 40 minutes. Place a cookie sheet under the pie just in case the pie drips over the edges. Cover with foil to prevent further browning and bake another 20 minutes.
6. Let cool and enjoy. Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream and/or vegan whipped cream.